Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Disclaimer

This new blog is really ugly. Soon I will make it look better. And soon I will start filling up this blank space.

But first, a disclaimer. I don't generally think of myself as a perfectionist, but I have to admit that when it comes to the written word and related projects, I am, often in ridiculous ways. I intentionally did not start baby books for Claire and Evan because I knew I'd never keep up with them and that would drive me crazy. I have started many actual diaries in my life but have thrown them all away because six months or a few years later I found them unbearable to read. (As if anyone's eighth-grade diary isn't cringe-worthy! -- Anne Frank excepted.) I majored in memorizing AP style, for crying out loud.

Nevertheless, I like blogging because it helps me document my life, and knowing people are reading -- or could be, at least -- or used to, anyway -- keeps me from throwing in the towel when I'm burned out. But the perfectionism still sneaks in, mainly in that I don't like going on the record, especially on the vast and permanent Internet, with thoughts and ideas and opinions that are not fully formed. Sometimes I don't even know an opinion was subject to change until three years down the road when I find that it has.

Writing things out helps me think things through, and I'm hoping to use this new blog, in part, as a place to sort of think out loud about things I haven't necessarily figured out. And don't worry, of course I'll still post kid pictures. All this to say, this blank space will fill up a lot faster if I can bring myself to hit the "publish" button even if it's not perfectly presentable, and I'm giving myself permission to do that. Consider yourself warned.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to reading your posts! Blogs do not have to be perfect, don't worry. I love browsing back to old posts to see what I thinking or doing on a particular day. It makes for good reflection. Thoughts change. Opinions change. You can use the blog to ponder such things, so they do not have to be fully formed. Write however you prefer! And, we both know that blogs can always be edited after the fact!

    Point being, keep writing! =)

    ReplyDelete